Thursday, March 13, 2008

Nalysnyky and Pysanky

Wednesday afternoon I left quilting at 2:30. I thought this was a bit of overkill, but I had to shop before cooking and I know cooking always takes longer than I think it will.

I started cooking around 3 and didn't stop until about 6:45. Nothing was terribly hard, but the crepes are a little time consuming because I can only cook one at a time. Everything went according to plan except, for one small thing; I started running out of the cottage cheese filling. I had an easy fix though, I got Jer to make me up some more.

Everything at dinner was delish as usual. So much variety, too much good food. One of the nice things about being a little late is that people are almost ready to eat by the time you get there. Usually we have to spend at least half an hour inhaling wonderful smells without being able to try them.

The food was great, but the highlight of the evening was pysanky, Ukrainian Easter eggs. Rob and Amanda graciously supplied eggs, dye, and tools for us all. The decorating was so much fun, it's very hard to stop. In fact Jer and I stayed a little too long because I was on egg number three.

I was ready to go, but then Savannah starting make Humpty Dumpty and I thought he needed a girlfriend, Humpy Dee-dee. Jer said he didn't mind saying so I started once again. It took longer than I thought it would: I looked up and the only other guests left were Savannah and Bethany. The four of us did help clean up though.

The top left egg is my favourite, egg number 2. The symbols showing are the symbol for swallow, as in the bird. Amanda had a book with traditional symbols in it. The egg also has the symbols for: sun, star, tree, bee, and flower on it.

Thanks for a fun evening guys.

No comments: